Pull-Apart Pepperoni Pizza Rolls
This recipe was created by America’s Test Kitchen Kids. This shareable snack turns cheesy pepperoni pizza into mini pizza rolls. Don’t forget the pizza sauce for dipping! Safety Considerations: This recipe uses a knife, the oven, and the microwave.
Serves: 4Prep: 2 hours 20 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 55 minutesDifficulty: Hard
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 pound pizza dough, room temperature
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 ounce)
- 1 cup pizza sauce, warmed
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper round in bottom of 8-inch round metal cake pan. Spray inside bottom and sides of pan lightly with vegetable oil spray.
- Spray clean counter lightly with vegetable oil spray. Transfer room-temperature dough to greased counter. Gently press and stretch dough into 6-inch square, popping any large bubbles. Use bench scraper to square into 4 equal strips. Then, cut each strip into 3 equal pieces (you’ll have 12 pieces total). Cover dough pieces with plastic wrap.
- Remove 1 piece of dough from under plastic (keep remaining pieces covered). Pat 1 piece of dough into 3-¬inch circle. Place 1 slice pepperoni in center of circle. Top pepperoni with heaping 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese and second slice pepperoni. Fold edges of dough up and over filling and pinch edges well to close. Flip ball over and place in parchment-¬lined cake pan. Repeat with remaining dough pieces, pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover cake pan with plastic and let rise until dough balls are slightly puffed and touching each other, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in small microwave-safe bowl, combine oil and garlic. Heat in microwave until warm and garlic is fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds.
- Once dough has risen, remove plastic. Use pastry brush to paint tops of dough balls with garlic oil. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese.
- Place cake pan in oven and bake until tops of rolls are well browned, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to remove cake pan from oven (ask an adult for help). Place pan on cooling rack and let rolls cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Carefully run butter knife around edge of cake pan to loosen rolls from pan (pan will be hot). Use oven mitts to carefully turn pan on its side and remove rolls from pan. Let rolls cool directly on cooling rack for 10 minutes. (This is a great time to warm up your pizza sauce.) Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.