Parmesan, Mushroom and Leek Soup
This might sound like an ordinary soup recipe, but it’s specially designed to use every part of the main ingredients to extract maximum flavor while minimizing waste.
Serves: 6Prep: 30 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large leeks, thoroughly washed
- 24 ounces Kroger® Whole Mushrooms (White or Baby Bella), cleaned
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Parmesan cheese rind
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish, if desired
- Parsley, chopped, if desired
- Cut the tough green tops and root ends off the leeks. Chop into 2” long pieces. Save white bottoms. Remove stems from the mushrooms and reserve mushroom caps. Remove thyme leaves from stems and reserve leaves. Peel garlic.
- Place leek tops and root ends, mushroom stems, thyme stems and garlic skins in a 4-quart or larger pot. Add water, Parmesan cheese rind and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Strain.
- Meanwhile, chop remaining tender white parts of the leeks into half-moons, slice mushroom caps, roughly chop thyme leaves and mince garlic. Set aside.
- In a 4-quart or larger saucepan melt butter. Add chopped leeks, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and cook an additional 4-6 minutes or until mushrooms cook down.
- Stir in flour and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add the leek and mushroom broth.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in heavy cream. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes to blend flavors and reduce slightly.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese; adjust seasoning to taste. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers.