Instant Pot Kosher Southwest Yellow Split Pea Soup
An Instant Pot makes quick work of cooking yellow split peas, so this recipe is a great weeknight dinner choice. Make this soup as mild or spicy as you’d like by using mild or hot tomatoes and by adding chili powder to taste.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1⁄2 cup carrots, sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tsp. chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 1 can (10 oz.) kosher diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- In an Instant Pot on sauté setting, add olive oil. Add onion and sauté until tender, then add garlic.
- Stir in split peas, carrots, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook on high pressure for 9 minutes, then naturally release pressure for 10 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn and bell pepper. Allow to sit 2-5 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with jalapeno and green onion. Refrigerate leftovers.