Grilled Mushroom Banh Mi
This plant-based version of the popular Vietnamese sandwich replaces pork with marinated and grilled mushrooms.
Serves: 4Prep: 40 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 4 radishes, julienned
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. Simple Truth™ Plant Based Mayo Spread
- 2 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 Simple Truth Organic™ Portabella Mushroom Caps
- 1 loaf Bakery Fresh Goodness Crusty White French Bread, cut open lengthwise and hinged on one side
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1-2 jalapeños, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems
- In heat-proof bowl, combine carrot and radish pieces.
- In small saucepan, bring rice vinegar, water and salt to boil. Pour over vegetable mixture. Set aside. Vegetables can be pickled ahead; cool to room temperature then refrigerate in sealed container up to 2 weeks.
- In small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sriracha and lime juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In shallow food storage container or zip top plastic bag, combine soy sauce, sugar, garlic and sesame oil. Add mushrooms. Let marinate at room temperature 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill mushrooms 6-8 minutes, flipping once, until tender. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- To assemble sandwich, spread bottom of bread with spicy mayonnaise mixture. Top with mushrooms, cucumber slices, jalapenos, pickled vegetables, mint and cilantro. Press sandwich gently closed. Cut into portions.
- Refrigerate leftovers.