Get into the festivities with this patriotic firecracker cake. It’s easy to make but will look impressive at any Memorial Day event or 4th of July party.
Serves: 12Prep: 45 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 (15.25 oz.) box white cake mix
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 4 tbsp. milk, divided
- 4 tbsp. corn syrup, divided
- Sprinkles, as desired to decorate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 12-cup fluted tube pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make cake batter according to package directions, then pour 1 cup of batter into a small bowl and mix in red food coloring. In a separate small bowl, add 1 cup of batter and mix in blue food coloring.
- Pour red cake batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Carefully pour the white batter over the red batter in the pan. Lastly, carefully pour the blue batter over the white batter in the pan.
- Bake as directed on the box, about 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool about 5 minutes, then turn pan over onto a cooling rack. Allow cake to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add ½ cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 tablespoon corn syrup and red food coloring. Stir until smooth. Place in a piping bag or small plastic resealable bag with a corner cut off.
- In a separate small bowl, add ½ cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1 tablespoon corn syrup and blue food coloring. Stir until smooth. Place in a piping bag or small plastic resealable bag with a corner cut off.
- Lastly, in a separate small bowl, add 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons corn syrup. Place in a piping bag or small plastic resealable bag with a corner cut off.
- To decorate the cake, pipe white glaze on top of cake. Pipe random dots of red and blue, then pipe over with white. Continue this process until desired look is achieved. Tap cake on a work surface to help glaze run down the side of the cake.
- Top with desired sprinkles and serve.