Chicken Pot Pie with Heart-y Topping
Comfort food makes a great entrée for a Valentine’s day family dinner. The cute little hearts cut from the pastry make a lovely addition, too.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 puff pastry (from 17.3 oz. package), thawed
- 1 jar (15 oz.) Alfredo sauce
- 1 package (12 oz.) Kroger® Meal-Ready Sides Peas & Carrots, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup Kroger® Recipe Beginnings Pearl Onions, thawed and drained
- 1 can (7 oz.) Kroger® Sliced Mushrooms, with liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups chicken, cooked, chopped
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten with 1 tsp. water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to fit casserole. With 1-1½” heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut several hearts from dough. Reserve hearts. Cover pastry to keep pastry from drying out while heating filling.
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat Alfredo sauce, peas and carrots, onions, mushrooms and their liquid, and Italian seasoning over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until bubbly. Stir in chicken and heat through. Spoon chicken mixture into casserole.
- Transfer puff pastry circle to top of chicken mixture allowing excess to extend over side of skillet. Crimp edge to seal.
- Brush pastry with egg yolk. Place reserved hearts decoratively around top of crust. Brush hearts with egg yolk. Sprinkle top of pie with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and puffed. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.