With its soft texture and rich flavor, bringing this beautifully layered chocolate loaf to share with friends and family will guarantee another invitation.
Serves: 12Prep: 8 hours 35 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 9 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (0.25 oz.) Kroger Brand Active Dry Yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warm but not hot (100-110°F)
- 1⁄2 cup + 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened and cut into pieces, divided
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine yeast, milk and 2 tablespoons sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes or until small bubbles are visible.
- Add eggs, salt and 6 tablespoons sugar. Using dough hook, beat until mixed.
- Add 3 cups flour and mix until dough comes together. With mixer running, add 4 tablespoons butter, a few pieces at a time, until fully incorporated.
- In mixer, knead dough on medium-low speed 5 to 7 minutes, until smooth.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Dough will rise but not double in size.
- In microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining 4 tablespoons butter and dark chocolate. Microwave on high in 30-second increments until melted. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar; stir to form spreadable paste.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or grease 9”x5” loaf pan; line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On generously floured surface, roll dough to a 16”x14” rectangle. Spread surface with chocolate mixture.
- Starting with the long side, roll dough up as tightly as possible.
- Cut dough lengthwise, leaving the last 1” attached. Flip dough pieces so the cut sides are up. Starting at the attached, end twist pieces together a few times. Transfer to prepared pan. Cover; let rise 1-1½ hours or until puffed.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserts easily and comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, bring remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and water to simmer until sugar dissolves. Keep warm.
- Place pan on wire rack. Brush top of loaf with sugar syrup. Let cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store wrapped at room temperature.