Black Bean and Shrimp Corn Chowder
This creamy and warm corn chowder recipe is full of flavor. The sweet potato, black beans, shrimp and corn come together for a mouthwatering meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sofrito tomato cooking base
- 4 cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½” cubes
- 2 cans (15.25 oz.) whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed in ¼ cup water
- 1 pound (26-30 ct.) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add onion and cook until tender. Stir in sofrito and cook 1-2 minutes. Add water, bouillon cubes and sweet potato. Bring to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender add 1 can corn and blend until smooth. Drain remaining can of corn. Pour blended corn and drained corn into saucepan. Add black beans, half-and-half and cornstarch mixture. Simmer 2-3 minutes, then add shrimp and cook until pink, about 7-10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and crusty bread.